Friday, February 18, 2011

Chicago's Number One

Yep, according to Esquire magazine, Chicago is the best beer city in America. It heavily cites Goose Island as a major factor and gives a nod to Piece and Metropolitan. It also mentions the Publican and Chicago's explosion of bars with high-quality beer lists (which I believe is a must of any near-respectable place opening in the city these days). Chicago doesn't have the most mature craft beer market or the most breweries, but it does have a lot of potential and it is growing extremely fast. Some might quibble with the idea of Chicago being number one, but it's the potential and enthusiasm of people in the city the gives it the number one spot.

On other beer-related news, which I guess isn't really directed to Chicago but I'm sure I could find a way: Pete's Wicked Ale is being discontinued. This is one of the first beers that I had in college that wasn't a major brand. I haven't had it since and completely forgot about it, but I remember getting a Pete's and thinking I was on to something. Can't remember how it tasted, but probably not as good as I remember. Still, there will always be a soft spot for Pete's.

No comments:

Post a Comment