Saturday, April 30, 2011

Beer Menu

I've been stumbling around the Internets looking for more information on where to find great beer in the city. Luckily, my eagle-eyed wife, Karen, came across perhaps one of the greatest inventions of mankind: Beer Menus. It's a website that lists the different bars around the city and where to great good beer. I know places in my local neighborhood (Bad Apple, Fountainhead, etc.), but when it comes to other areas, I'm lost.

It lists places by neighborhood or what places have cask beers (11 so far, which I hope more places embrace). It lists events and has deals. Just from looking over the events, these stand out:

Evil Twin debuts in the Midwest at Local Option on May 2. The weakest beer listed is 8%. That sounds like a fun Monday.

Medusa and burger pairing at the Bad Apple on May 5. I haven't tried the beer, but the burgers at Bad Apple are worth the trip alone. Plus, add in all of the other great beers and you can't miss.

Craft beer night at Mitchell's Tap. OK, the selection isn't out of this world, but it is Bridgeport and to see craft beer making its way into this area is a good sign. I remember when Mitchell's Tap was Puffer's, a dive-type of bar that had decent beer and jazz on Thursdays. I think the owners sold and it sort of changed and became, for a bit at least, more hoodish, with signs banning baseball caps and the like. Halsted in Bridgeport has the character to become one of the great art/shopping/bar/restaurant strips in the city. There is a lot of great character, easily walkable, lots of great storefronts and the Ramova theater, which needs to be rehabbed. Ah, Bridgeport.

With a city exploding in craft beer, it's great to have more and more resources available.

No comments:

Post a Comment