Sunday, January 23, 2011

Draw on Your Own Coasters

Well, today is the showdown between the Bears and Packers. Lots of people I'm sure are up and grilling sausages in the parking lots already, but most of us are making coffee waking up and getting ready to watch the game on the good ol' television. As exciting as it is, it is still a football game with breaks, long commercials and endless chattering. If you get fidgety or have guests that might not be all into the game but like arts and crafts and the such, Ready Made has a cool art project using beer coasters.

As you can read in this posting, Ready Made suggests getting some blank beer coasters and some pens and letting your guests draw their own beer coasters. It's a great little creative outlet during the game or for those that bore during football easily. It's also a great party tip: leave them around, people can draw on them, leave them, write messages, whatever. If it's a particularly epic party, it'll be a souvenir.

When I backpacked around Europe after college, I didn't have a lot of money. In fact, I almost had no money. I usually bought a loaf of bread for lunch, ate half of it, and then saved the other half for dinner. I remember waiting for the bus to take out of England and into France, sitting on the side of the Thames, eating a half loaf of bread in the ran. I didn't have any money to go to a restaurant and quite frankly, the bus station was creepy as hell. I used my few remaining pounds to go into a pub and nurse a beer to wait for the bus and to get out of the rain. I came quite adept at slowly drinking a pint to stretch out the time to stay in the pub.

Anyway, no money usually means no souvenirs. So, instead of buying souvenirs, I took coasters from all the different bars and pubs I went to throughout Europe. There's different languages and styles. I wish I knew more about beer then, but I still have the coasters as reminders of the trip.

So game plan: get craft beer, get blank coasters, draw, have fun and watch the Bears win.

No comments:

Post a Comment